[Mimedefang] Another Sendmail security problem: Upgrade to 8.12.9

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Sun Mar 30 00:38:01 EST 2003

Stuart Sheldon wrote:

> It takes all of about 10 minutes to re-compile sendmail on a P-3... I
> would much rather them find the problems then have my system be hacked...

    It took me that long to update 10 RH7.3 from .8 to .9 - machines
ranging from dual P[Pro] 200 up to dual PIII-733 (and one P4).  I
concur, sendmail may be one with vulnerabilities, but at least they're
a) fast in releasing updates, and b) if you've been keeping up with it,
it does not take a whole lot of time to recompile it.  And as someone
else pointed out, it only takes time before someone finds a problem with
qmail/postfix/whatever your flavor may be.  Sendmail just happens to be
widely used.