[Mimedefang] Followup on Work directory names

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Mar 28 09:05:01 EST 2003

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003, Joseph Brennan wrote:

> Closer analysis of the logs shows that just before those errors,
> we were getting socket errors.  Section of 'grep mimedefang systog'
> follows.  This was the minute when the host had 412 incoming messages.
> Mimedefang 2.31 with MX_MAXIMUM=100.
>  socket: Too many open files

Aha!  :-)  Dollars to doughnuts Solaris's "mkdir" system call is setting
errno to EMFILE when it fails.

Anyone care to verify this?  Bad Solaris, bad!  Your man pages lie! :-)

Version 2.32-BETA-1 will not directly fix this.  However, there is a
kernel setting to increase the number of open files in Solaris.  By
default, this is 256, but you can bump it as high as 1024 with
"ulimit":

	ulimit -n 1024

You can increase the hard limit by putting:

	set rlim_fd_max=8192

in /etc/system and rebooting.  (This is on Solaris 9 and untested...)