[Mimedefang] Work directory names

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Thu Mar 27 11:29:01 EST 2003

I'm amazed how fast David Skoll responds.  I really appreciate it-
thank you.

>> /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mdefang-3E8312A7-0: File exists
>
> You should never see anything ending in -0 complaining, because
> mimedefang.c tries up to MAXTRIES times to make a directory, and MAXTRIES
> is 8192. If you are seeing this, it's because your system is not returning
> EEXIST or EBADF when the mkdir() fails.

Solaris 2.8.  I'm passing this to our systems folks.  Interesting.

> Well, you could try MIMEDefang 2.32-BETA-1, which uses the Sendmail
> queue identifier in the temporary directory name.  Because of the way
> these identifiers are generated, this is practically guaranteed to
> succeed.
>
> If you don't want to upgrade, see if supplying the "-M" option
> to mimedefang fixes it.  This puts a mutex lock around the whole
> directory-creation loop.

Incredibly I was just saying to one of our staff, why not use
sendmail 8.12's nifty unique identifiers.  OK!!

Joseph Brennan          Columbia University in the City of New York
postmaster at columbia.edu                 Academic Technologies Group