[Mimedefang] MIME::Parser: can't open tmpfile

Paul freebsd at pksnet.com
Mon Mar 24 19:54:00 EST 2003

Hi,

>Thank you for your advice, I tried 'mimedefang.pl -test' and I've
>got "Filter /usr/local/etc/mimedefang/mimedefang-filter seems syntactically
>correct." message

Hmmm. That rules out syntax errors. Still may have something in it incorrect.

>Sometimes filter works just fine, email comes through ang filtered. I have the
>same mimedefang-filter at another server running FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE and have
>no problems. But at my main mail server which is FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE I'm
>getting these errors :-(

I'm running FreeBSD 4.3 actually but with the latest Sendmail 8.12.8 and perl 5.8 without these issues so I don't think it is a FreeBSD release problem perse or I should be hitting it as well.

>It seems the only way to fix it to upgrade to newer release (I'm waiting for
>4.8 very soon) but it's a heck a lot of work to transfer all the data, accounts
>and mail boxes :-(

I think it may be a config problem on the 4.5 machine rather than a release issue.
Have you doublechecked and compared system settings between the two servers? As well as versions of installed packages needed by MD?

I agree with the workload of upgrading. Which is why I am still at (albeit a security patched) 4.3 release. I intend to wait for 4.8 as well.