[Mimedefang] Strange MIME-Tools error when make-ing Mimedefang 2.31

Jim McCullars jim at info.uah.edu
Mon Mar 24 12:00:03 EST 2003

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Matt Bruce wrote:

> Editing the Makefile and replacing -lresolv with -lbind (as per section 2.8
> in http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-2.html) allowed me to make and
> "make install" MD correctly.

   I'll take a stab at it.  In the sendmail docs, they caution you about
using header files from one version of bind and using the link libraries
against another version.  We have been bitten by that.  Some time ago, I
noticed that sendmail was not putting reverse DNS information in the
determined that we were using header files from one version of Bind
(because the machine is a backup DNS server, we compiled our own version),
but using the vendor's libresolv.a.  When we made sure the header files
and library files matched, the problem went away.  That could be what is
going on in your case, especially if you have installed your own Bind.

   As for the perl problem you mention in your original message, I would
first check the permissions of the directory where Tools.pm is installed.
It does appear to be in your perl's path (@INC), so that's the only reason
I can think of that it wouldn't see it.  Also check the permissions of the
files themselves.

   Perl under Solaris used to be pretty simple, until Sun started
including it.  Now, you have to wonder if you are using the vendor perl or
your own perl.  It makes a difference, especially if you use gcc to
compile stuff.  Sun's perl is compiled using cc, so if you do one of those
"perl Makefile.PL" commands to install modules, the installation
directories and compiler will depend on which perl (yours or Sun's) it
finds first.  Since I use gcc to compile, I always have to do
"/usr/local/bin/perl Makefile.PL" so that the resulting Makefile will have
the right path and the right compiler calls.

   I hope this helps...

Jim