[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang and Qmail - Devloper Interest

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Mar 10 20:28:00 EST 2003

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, Justin wrote:

> As such, I am interested in making some sort of qmail branch to
> mimedefang... ideally it would offer as many of the same hooks and
> functions as possible.

It might be better just to make an SMTP proxy that operates in what
Sendmail calls "Immediate Delivery Mode".  That would work with any
MTA, including qmail, Postfix, Exim, M$ Exchange, etc...

If you go ahead with qmail integration, I do not recommend trying to
replicate the Milter wire protocol -- it's too complicated.  Instead,
you want to come in at the mimedefang/mimedefang-multiplexor
interface.  That protocol is (somewhat) documented in the
mimedefang-protocol(7) man page, and in the mimedefang.pl source code.
It's a simple file-based protocol, with a couple of extra one-line
request/reply interactions for checking at MAIL FROM: and RCPT TO:
time.

I have some interest in integrating with other MTA's, because we get
the odd qmail or Postfix user who asks about CanIt.  I'd be willing to
help out as long as we're allowed to distribute the results as part of
CanIt as well as part of MIMEDefang.

(The qmail license is somewhat problematic, which is another reason
an MTA-independent proxy might be the way to go.)