[Mimedefang] SECURITY: Update to Sendmail 8.12.8 ASAP

Shawn Button sbutton at dtjboulder.com
Tue Mar 4 19:34:00 EST 2003

Thanks. I straightened it all out...

-----Original Message-----
From: mimedefang-admin at lists.roaringpenguin.com
[mailto:mimedefang-admin at lists.roaringpenguin.com] On Behalf Of Tony
Nugent
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 4:46 PM
To: MIMEDefang Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Mimedefang] SECURITY: Update to Sendmail 8.12.8 ASAP

On Tue Mar 04 2003 at 09:52, "Shawn Button" wrote:

> I still get version 8.12.5 when I do this.
>
> Installing the rpm (rpm -Uvh) still returns:
> service sendmail does not support chkconfig

This is obviously a complaint from the post-install script, which is
running chkconfig to add sendmail as a managed bootup script (ie,
/etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail).

I have no idea where you got that rpm from, but you really should
make changes to that init script to make it work with chkconfig...
what needs to be one it isn't difficult or high-tech, just read the
man pages and have a look at what's in the other init.d scripts.

> What should I do to upgrade our install?

Are you sure that the v8.12.8 rpm was installed correctly, and in
the right places?  What does "rpm -q sendmail" tell you?

If the upgrade (rpm -U) didn't work, then you can always use --force
or --nodeps.  But that can be dangerous... if it is an rpm that can
install and run on your box then it should work.

> Thank you.

This really has little to do with mimedefang, perhaps one of the
mailing lists for your distribution would be more appropriate.

> Shawn

(This is not rocket science, just basics for managing an rpm-based
system).

Cheers
Tony