[Mimedefang] Filtering Based On Results of Spamassassin

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Mar 3 12:24:01 EST 2003

> From: Jeffrey Thompson

> I would like to filter based on the results of Spamassassin check
> (spam_assassin_check() or spam_assassin_status()).  I'm particularly
> targeting hits on PORN_4 and HOT_NASTY (to start with).

I have been thinking about something slightly different, but perhaps
they could be integrated into some kind of spam strategy after the
spam_assassin_check.   I'm currently just tagging the spam and not
quite willing to discard it.  However I think the false positives are
rare enough that I could delay it without any problem, especially at
night when most of it comes in.   So, what I'd like to do for anything
that SpamAssassin identifies is check the most recent time in the
headers and if it isn't already at least half and hour old (maybe more
at night), tmp_fail it.  Also, if it is possible to find the current
number of connections and it isn't close to the max, I'd like to delay
the response for a while following the inspiration of some of the tarpit
programs.  If most spam senders don't retry a tmp_fail that will weed
out a lot without losing any real mail and the time based check won't
require any saved state (like tracking known senders, etc.).  The delay
probably won't cause significant trouble for the senders, but it will
at least feel good...

----
   Les Mikesell
     les at futuresource.com