[Mimedefang] Spool directory problems too many files

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Jun 16 15:51:02 EDT 2003

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Bradley Smith wrote:

> Jun 16 11:19:11 filter mimedefang[158]: h5GIJAsN030708: Could not create
> directory /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mdefang-3EEE0A1F-0: Too many links

What version of MIMEDefang are you using?  Are you quarantining messages?

You should be running at least 2.33, which cleans up much more reliably.
Also, configure it so quarantined messages go in a different file system from
your spool directory.  If you download the latest beta, it puts quarantined
messages in /var/spool/MD-Quarantine by default.

> I think I need to take care of the spool getting too big. It gets up to
> around 35,000 files and caks. I would like to clean it out or schedule an
> automatic maintenance proggie to do it.

It's safe to delete any mdefang-* directory older than an hour or so.