[Mimedefang] exe attachment not being blocked

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Sat Jun 14 02:14:01 EDT 2003

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Charles Mount wrote:

> I have exe in my $bad_exts list in the mimedefang-filter.
> We have a person who can send *.exe files from his msn account and they do
> not get blocked.
> When I test from a hotmail or netscape account the *.exe attachments are
> being removed and the warning message is being added.

I'm wondering exactly how the thing is attached.  If you could ask the
person to send one message attaching an executable to both of the
following addresses, I would be glad to take a look to examine the nature
of the attaching mechanism.

Send the mail to

 To: jgoldberg at slauson.com, jeffrey at goldmark.org

The former has a MIMEDefag set-up before it and the latter doesn't.

> Any ideas?

Wild speculation is that MSN has discovered yet a new (and unforseen) way
of violating MIME standards that work for some clients, but isn't
recognized by the MIME parsing used by MIMEDefang.

Basically that is the only thing I can imagine at the moment, but that
really just reflects my limited imagination.

-j

> This is a PRIVATE message [...]

It is now archived on the list archive.

--