[Mimedefang] default filter does not deal well with .xxx in the middle of attachments

Kayne Kruse kayne at moranprinting.com
Wed Jun 18 11:04:00 EDT 2003

It appears after watching these reports for a while now, that the
default rules do not parse weird long filenames properly.  It detected a
.jpg as a .com finding a .com in the middle of a file attachment name.
I could probably easily fix this by modifying the source.  One would
want to filter unsafe files more like this: look at the end of the file
name for extra '.' and see if its something like .xxx.pif instead of
searching the name for one of the offending extensions somewhere in the
name.

While my filter is tuned more towards SA and RBL checks, I have not
modified the 'unsafe' attachment section at this time.

Has anyone else already addressed this issue?

Kayne