[Mimedefang] SoBig.E slipping through

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Jun 30 17:38:00 EDT 2003

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Minica, Nelson (EDS) wrote:

> Not using anything for virus scanning at the MTA.  If this one virus can
> slip attachments past mimedefang then others can too.  Perhaps I shouldn't
> trust $fname to actually contain the filename...?

Try running the message through mimedefang as follows:

	mimedefang.pl -structure < the_message

to see how mimedefang parses the MIME structure.

When I did it with the sample you sent, I got this:

non-leaf: type=multipart/mixed; fname=; disp=inline
    leaf: type=text/plain; fname=; disp=inline
    leaf: type=application/x-zip-compressed; fname=your_details.zi; disp=attachment

The "your_details.zi" test should have caught it.