[Mimedefang] Sniffer and MIMEDefang

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Mon Jun 30 17:09:00 EDT 2003

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Carol Man wrote:

>   Recently I put a sniffer to test if Mimedefang reads
> all the incoming message or just read the first 2Mb
> (if I configure 2Mb the maximum length) and then
> discard the rest of the message. The result was that
> it reads all the message and then discard it.. but
> this would cause a delay in the Internet link..

There is no (nice) way to stop reading a message part way through the
DATA.  The SMTP protocol only gives you an opportunity to voice a
rejection in certain places.  So something like MIMEDefang, can simply
ignore incoming DATA after a point, but once sendmail as said, "OK, send
me our data" it can only (cleanly) say "go away" after the sending system
has finished sending it.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                            http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/