[Mimedefang] Milter -- wierd handling

Tony Nugent tony at linuxworks.com.au
Fri Jun 27 23:56:02 EDT 2003

On Mon Jun 23 2003 at 21:26, "Lucas Albers" wrote:

> I was running 8.12.8-5 compiled from rpm and I upgraded to 8.12.9 from
> rawhide for redhat linux, and I had problems (not with the socket though)
> and rolled back to 8.12.8.
> I had authentication problems with 8.12.9, it requires saslauthd and db4
> to be installed for sendmail 8.12.9 to run correctly.
> I partially resolves some problems with this by rebuilding my db and cf
> files.

I had similar problems with the sendmail 8.12.9 src.rpm from rawhide
when rebuilding it on a rh73 box.  The .spec file takes care of
changing most of the sasl2 references for building on older releases
(it compiled and installed fine), but I too couldn't get
authentication to work -- not until I replaced the contents of
/usr/lib/sasl/Sendmail.conf with "pwcheck_method:pam", after which
ssl/tls started working again (and login etc for roaming outlook
clients)... the "saslauthd" method is only supported with sasl2 and
this is a bug/oversight in the .spec file and its patches (it should
probably have a "perl -pi" command run over this file for older
releases).

Also sanity check:
$ cat /etc/pam.d/smtp
#%PAM-1.0
auth       required	pam_stack.so service=system-auth
account    required	pam_stack.so service=system-auth

BTW, I have never been able to get "pwcheck_method:sasldb" to work
for me, does anyone know of a web page that might help me with
troubleshooting that?

> I originally planned to resolve the remaining problems on a test machine,
> but decided to just stay with 8.12.8 as I can't see ANY compelling reason
> to go to 8.12.9 from 8.12.8.

Security bugs/fixes. (?)

> I plan to stay with 8.12.8 until the distant future...

Don't be afraid, really, 8.12.9 works just fine :)

> --Luke

Cheers
Tony