[Mimedefang] Off Topic - Mail Message and MySQL

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Jun 19 09:44:00 EDT 2003

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Chris Masters wrote:

> Now, I would like to know if there is any benefit in
> writing a seperate daemon process that maintains DB
> connections (MIMEDefang can connect via a unix socket)
> OR to maintain a DB connection per slave as per
> David's solution.

I can't see the benefit of a separate daemon unless you're running an
absurdly high number of slaves, or it is expensive to maintain
multiple database connections.

In our typical CanIt setup, MX_MAXIMUM is anywhere from 10 to 100, and
PostgreSQL has no problem keeping 100 connections open.

> Again, I think the question is: How much do we allow
> MIMEDefang do and how much do we off load on to other
> processes?

Try both and see which is faster, I guess.