[Mimedefang] Off Topic - Mail Message and MySQL

Phil Eschallier phil at BuxTech.Com
Wed Jun 18 12:07:00 EDT 2003

Benjamin;

I just posted asking David if his commercial product's filter directly
updates the database, or if it is some form of post processing.

I don't have hard numbers [yet], but we struggle to keep MD + SA running in
environments processing more than 1 milling e-mail per day.  I've written a
lot of perl / DBI code, and my [admittedly anecdotal] opinion is that
anything time consuming that can me removed from the MD filter would better
serve high volume sites.

You could try refactoring your current processing to move your DB updates to
a separate task.  Have the filter log to the file system, then have your
task run every 5 minutes from cron, loading data from the quarantine
directories then removing the file system entries.  This way your filter is
lighter weight ... and if your DB server is down, filtering will not slow or
stall and the cron job can just try again 5 minutes later.

I'm looking forward to David's observations as this has been implemented in
MD's sister product line.

... Phil