[Mimedefang] Off Topic - Mail Message and MySQL

Phil Eschallier phil at BuxTech.Com
Wed Jun 18 11:17:00 EDT 2003

Benjamin;

If you are storing the mail message as it is delivered (as you wrote,
"raw"), it is MIME encoded.  MIME is the mechanism that facilitates
transporting binary data in mail messages and is a textual representation of
binary data (and yes, text is technically binary too, but I don't have
better terms at the moment to describe this).

I've been thinking about logging such messages to an RDBMS as well, though
it's not been a high priority yet.  After some preliminary hacking and
knowing what kind of load MD + SA put on high volume servers, I'm thinking
that the better route is to use the quarantine functions with the filter
akin to the samples in the distribution, and have a separate task (cron
driven) that loads data from the quarantine directories.  I don't like the
potential impact of DB connection overhead or down DB servers to the filter
and mail throughput.  Just my $.02 ...

... Phil