[Mimedefang] Spool directory problems too many files

Bradley Smith bradleysmith at calvarychapel.com
Mon Jun 16 15:32:00 EDT 2003

I just installed MIMEdefang/SpamAssasign for my email servers. My server is
currently processing about 20-30K messages a day. I have about 3500 users.
In the past 2 weeks I’ve blocked over 100,000 spam messages, 1,400 viruses,
logged 28,000 probable spam, and had 177,000 good clean mail through the
system. All this is running on freebsd release 4.8.

I think I have an inode problem when the spool directory fills up. I’m not
too sure but the following is an error I get. I then can’t send mail.

Jun 16 11:19:11 filter mimedefang[158]: h5GIJAsN030708: Could not create
directory /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mdefang-3EEE0A1F-0: Too many links

I think I need to take care of the spool getting too big. It gets up to
around 35,000 files and caks. I would like to clean it out or schedule an
automatic maintenance proggie to do it. I’m not too sure but maybe I can
utilize several different spool directories and keep the file sizes down in
each dir. Maybe a directory a day and delete the dir 30 days and older.

Let me know your thoughts.