[Mimedefang] Getting a QuotedPrint.pm error in mimedefang

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Sun Jun 15 11:45:01 EDT 2003

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003, G. Roderick Singleton wrote:

> I am seeing the following intermittently:
>
> Jun 15 09:48:35 dsl mimedefang-multiplexor: Slave 6 stderr:
> 86-linux/MIME/QuotedPrint.pm line 96, <GEN380> line 42. Use of
> uninitialized value in length at
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i386-linux/MIME/QuotedPrint.pm line 96,
> <GEN380> line 43. Use of uninitialized value in length at

[snip]

> Has anyone else noticed this error and is there a solution?

Let me guess.  The system is a recent RedHat system.

There is a bug in somewhere in the interaction between RH's UTF system and
perl 5.8.0.  Try

  echo $LANG

if you get something like

  en_US.UTF-8

then that is part of the problem.  You can fix this by resetting LANG

  export LANG=en_US

for example  (if your locale is not US English, then use what ever is
appropriate).

I suppose you could set the environment variable in the start-up script
that you use for mimedefang, or you can set it once and for all as a
system default by editing

 /etc/sysconfig/i18n

That will affect other systems, so if you actually make use of UTF-8,
think carefully about doing it this way, but remember that a logged in
normal user can always set whatever LANG they want in their .bashrc or
.cshrc files.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                            http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/