[Mimedefang] Bouncing on invalid HELO/EHLO

G. Roderick Singleton gerry at pathtech.org
Thu Jun 12 10:44:00 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-06-12 at 10:09, Jim McCullars wrote:
> I know there's a lot of controversy regarding bouncing mail where the
> HELO/EHLO string doesn't match the real host name, but in reading RFC1123,
> I came across this:
>
>           Note also that the HELO argument is still required to have
>           valid <domain> syntax, since it will appear in a Received:
>           line; otherwise, a 501 error is to be sent.
>
> How many people actually bounce mail based on this rule?

I recall the discussion in comp.mail.sendmail. The grater part of the
discussion was over the meaning of 'syntax'. At the end, it appeared
that meant the domain name consisted of a identifier, a dot, followed by
a TLD. Nothing was resolved as to whether this had to exist or not.

My take on attempting to implement these types of tests was that is was
much work for little gain when one employs the latest sendmail with
mimedefang and ancillary programs such as spamassassin.

Check google for the thread.

ger
--
Gerry Roderick Singleton <gerry at pathtech.org>