[Mimedefang] Problem is happening right now (was: My MD install went wacko)

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Jun 11 16:58:00 EDT 2003

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Justin Shore wrote:

> Best I can tell is that they don't idle timeout and respawn (or just die).
> Now I don't know the answer to this question but I'd assume that it's the
> multiplexor that keeps track of the slaves processes for gathering stats
> used in idle time and total number of messages processed, not the slaves
> themselves.

Right.

You can easily check if the multiplexor is alive by doing (as root):

	md-mx-ctrl status

We have about 100 CanIt installations, and there are probably
thousands of MIMEDefang installations, and I've never seen anyone
reporting this lockup problem.  I suspect the Perl slaves are doing
some kind of network operation like an RBL or Razor lookup -- if those
take a long time, your slaves can get used up really quickly and
everything grinds to a halt.

> Ah.  This would be beyond my skills.  I wonder if there's a debug mode for
> the multiplexor...

Not one that's of use to end-users.  You can use the "-L" option to log
slave status every few seconds; this will at least reassure you that
the multiplexor is still sane.