[Mimedefang] My MD install went wacko

Jason Englander jason at englanders.cc
Wed Jun 11 16:22:01 EDT 2003

On Sun, 8 Jun 2003, Justin Shore wrote:

> just upgraded to beta5.  It detects CLAMSCAN, CLAMD, and FPROT at
> configure time.  I'm assuming it calls both clamscan and clamd.  If so
> then that's redundant.  I'm not sure which I should disable though.  IIRC
> you're supposed to use clamdscan (note the d) when using the clamd daemon,
> which I am.  I'm not sure this matters though with regards to this
> problem.

Sorry to only read or respond to this part, but this part caught my eye...

If it detects clamscan, clamd, and f-prot it'll use whatever your filter
says it should use.  The default filter that comes with MD will use (in
your case), _only_ f-prot.  If you look in the filter at
message_contains_virus() and entity_contains_virus() you'll see that they
use the first supported scanner in the list.

Given the choice between clamscan and clamd, you should definitely use
clamd.  MD doesn't use clamdscan to use clamd,
*_contains_virus_clamd() opens a direct unix socket connection to clamd.
Much, much faster than using clamdscan.

  Jason

--
Jason Englander <jason at englanders.cc>
394F 7E02 C105 7268 777A  3F5A 0AC0 C618 0675 80CA