[Mimedefang] /opt (was: Notice: Dropping support for RAV AntiVirus)

Matthew Hall leareth at angui.sh
Tue Jun 10 20:42:01 EDT 2003

> Get used to /opt. It's part of the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS), in
> turn a part of Linux Standard Base (LSB). All distros are supposed to adhere
> to LSB so that 3rd parties can "follow the rules" when figuring out where
> stuff goes. /opt is the new standard place for 3rd party non-distro stuff to
> go. (I think this was inherited from the Sun world.)

Yes. It's odd to see the road go both ways, since Sun/Solaris has
been busy incorporating large amounts of the GNU tools/programs into
the Solaris base. (I was/am a Solaris sysadmin for the past 3 years).

--
It's always September somewhere on the 'net. | http://angui.sh
Another proud member of Eep's killfile.      | Unix Sys. Admin.
faster than others.                          | leareth at angui.sh