[Mimedefang] My MD install went wacko

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Sun Jun 8 11:59:01 EDT 2003

On Sat, 7 Jun 2003, Justin Shore wrote:

> During the temp failing period the remote MX queued up many thousand
> messages for my spamtrap. [...] A quick restart of MD and Sendmail (one
> or the other wouldn't fix it.  I had to do both) fixed the problem.
> The fix was only temporary though as it happened again a short time
> later.

> This is a RH 7.3 box running Sendmail 8.12.9, [...]

Do you have a sendmail submission (client) queue runner daemon working?

It sounds like you don't.  Since 8.12.9, sendmail splits its functions (to
avoid running suid) and you need to have a client daemon running using
submit.cf if there is going to be any locally generated mail.

I'm not sure that this is part of the problem.  It certainly doesn't
explain the initial MD errors.  Can you post your .mc file declaration of
the mimedefang Milter.  There might be a way to tune it so sendmail fails
more gracefully if it can't talk to MD.

> Please CC any replies to listuser at numbnuts.net.  I may have been
> auto-kicked from the list during the temp failing period.

Done.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                            http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/