[Mimedefang] mimedefang lockup - help needed (followup #2)

Bill Randle billr at neocat.org
Fri Jun 6 21:17:01 EDT 2003

Here's yet another followup to my problems.

On Thu, 2003-05-22 at 08:42, Bill Randle wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-05-20 at 10:42, Nels Lindquist wrote:
> > On 20 May 2003 at 6:53, Phil Eschallier wrote:
> >
> > <SNIP>
> >
> > > This seems unlikely here as things work at the
> > > start ... so it could be that something is changing the permissions on
> > > the socket file of the directories at some point after launch.
> >
> > Right!  There have been several discussions on the list about
> > Mandrake's paranoid security causing problems, including a buggy msec
> > which "fixes" ownership & permissions of such things as sendmail,
> > queue directories, etc.
> >
> > Do a search on the mailing list archive for "Mandrake permissions"
> > and see if any of the results might be helpful.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions provided by several people. I tried them all:
[snip - see previous email in this thread for details]

Well, I didn't get any more suggestions :-( and was thinking I'd have
to dive into the MIMEDefang code and/or multiplexor. Before I did I
tried two more things, one of which helped and the second cured my
problem.

Just to give an idea of frequency, this was happening about once
every 1-2 hours.

First, I upgraded the kernel from 2.4.8-26mdksmp to 2.4.19-33mdksmp
(this system is running Mandrake Linux 8.1, mostly upgraded to 8.2,
with dual 400 MHz Xeon's and 768 kB memory). This actually seemed to
help some. The lockup condition only happened once every 4 hours or
so.

Finally. before chucking the whole thing, I upgraded MIMEDefang to
2.34-BETA-5 (was 2.33). Bingo! All my lockup problems went away!!!

So, David, I don't know what you did in 2.34B5 that made the difference,
but I thank you a million times. I really like MIMEDefang and didn't
want to give it up; now I don't have to.

	-Bill Randle
	SysAdmin
	OutlawNet, Inc.
	billr at outlawnet.com