[Mimedefang] How do I remove infected attachments before bouncing mail (action_bounce)

Stefano McGhee SMcGhee at ARCweb.com
Fri Jun 6 15:37:01 EDT 2003

For the love of God, man, don't send virus warnings anymore.  As a
postmaster on my mailserver, I see countless virus notifications coming in
to users that don't exist on our domain.  In the days when macro viruses
were king and you had a useful file left over after cleaning, virus
notifications were OK.  But these days, the sender is frequently forged by
the virus and the "friendly notification" is a nuisance at best and
confuses a common user at words (thinks they have a virus that they don't).
Currently, I don't even deliver notices to my users about messages that
have certain viruses (Klez, BugBear, SoBig).  I just discard them because I
know they contain no useful content.

PLEASE, reconsider this action.  It just creates garbage messages on par
with spam, as David mentions.

> > Actually, what we would really like to do is send back a warning
> > notice and simply discard infected messages. Has anyone developed
> > code to do that? (Might as well ask before doing my own coding).
>
> Please don't do that.  Viruses usually fake the sender addresses, and
> I consider virus-notification messages to be spam.  In fact, I have
> MIMEDefang rules to recognize and bounce virus-notification messages
> from a number of popular anti-virus tools.

Cheers,

Stefano