[Mimedefang] md_syslog and RedHat9

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Jun 5 08:19:01 EDT 2003

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, Jason Englander wrote:

> That's what the Changelog file in MD's source tree is for...  Anyone that
> doesn't read it, IMHO, deserves it to puke.  If it's too big a deal for
> someone to update their filter to coincide with a new version of MD, then
> they shouldn't be upgrading.  If someone doesn't like that policy, they
> don't have to use David's free software.

Well, I wouldn't have put it quite like that. :-)  But essentially,
Jason is right.  The Changelog has a bunch of:

	*** NOTE INCOMPATIBILITY ***

tags.  And whether your filter dies because it objects to the version of
MIMEDefang, or because it calls a nonexistent function, it still dies and
mail stops flowing.  So versioning doesn't help much.

What might help, and what I might consider, is keeping md_log and
md_log_enable around, but having them syslog a great big "DEPRECATED"
warning each time they are called.