[Mimedefang] md_syslog and RedHat9

alan premselaar alien at 12inch.com
Wed Jun 4 21:45:01 EDT 2003

On 6/4/03 9:13 PM, "David F. Skoll" <dfs at roaringpenguin.com> wrote:

[...]
> That's not quite correct.  md_log_enable is only used to set the facility
> for the (badly-named) md_log routine.  (I think I'll rename this to
> md_graphdefang_log_enable and md_graphdefang_log for the next release.)

So, after reading this, i was tempted to be a smartass and just send a
proactive email saying "I just upgraded mimedefang and now my filter doesn't
work!"  Although I decided against doing that, it ocurred to me this morning
that if you change the name of the md_log functions for graphdefang, those
of use using a lof of calls to md_log, unless paying careful attention to
the change, will run into that scenario.

that spawned another idea, so i figured i'd bounce it off you and see how it
goes.  (this idea taken in part from SpamAssassin, and sponsored by the
letter H and the numeral 3)

what if you had some sort of version requirement routine, to check against
the MD version from within the filter. maybe something that was a little
more comprehensive than just "if filter version != MD version then puke".

for example. having a global variable that you can set $RequiredVersion =
"<=2.33" so the filter would run in versions up to 2.33, or $RequiredVersion
= "2.31 <> 2.33" or $RequiredVersion = "2.34" (etc)

maybe if $RequiredVersion is undefined it'll assume the filter is written
for versions previous to the implementation of the version handler and
complain.

it might be a good way to ensure that when people do version upgrades, they
take the time to update their filters to support those types of changes.

anyways, figured i'd throw that out there and see what happens.

alan