[Mimedefang] unsafe socket error message

G. Roderick Singleton gerry at pathtech.org
Mon Jun 2 19:33:00 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 18:02, David F. Skoll wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One additional thing to try:
>
> 	grep Xmimedefang /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
>
> If it looks something like this:
>
> Xmimedefang, S=unix:/var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock, F=T, ...
>
> That's good.  However, it it looks like this:
>
> Xmimedefang, S=unix:/var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock , F=T, ...
>
> it's bad.  Notice the space between ".sock" and the comma?  Sendmail
> takes that as part of the socket name.
>
> If this is what's causing your difficulty, it's an easy fix -- just
> remove the space and restart Sendmail.  Then you can ponder the sadism
> of the Sendmail authors, or the masochism of the Sendmail users...

David,

There is NO space. I have disable the options so the line is as follows:

Xmimedefang, S=unix:/var/spool/MIMEdefang/mimedefang.sock

While awaiting a solution I have been troubleshooting on my own. Problem
is sendmail is a bit of a black box to me; however, I do believe that
this problem is related to perms of some sort. The kernel I am using is
the latest released and, whereas with earlier kernels, ps() behave in
the same manner as Solaris ps(). (It used to display the command and now
only display as [sendmail].) You will recall this discussion on
comp.mail.sendmail a few days ago. My reasoning is that the kernel
change has affected mimedefang et cetera. I didn't save the old kernel
so can't test my theory. All wet? Maybe.

Nonetheless I run sendmail_8.12.9 with all the RH toys, a new DB4
install, Spamassassin-2.55 and all ancillary dists. Some from rpm, some
stock.

If necessary, you have my phone number in other emails, please call.

ger