[Mimedefang] Both_Receive

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Tue Jul 8 15:18:02 EDT 2003

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Les Mikesell wrote:

> SMTP rejection doesn't prevent the creation of another piece of
> email, it just forces another machine to do it.  All of the problems
> of the target likely being wrong still apply even though it is
> someone else's queue that gets clogged.

But it is on a machine which has accepted responsibility for the message.

If it's an open relay relaying lots of junk, then that is the machine
whose queue should be clogged.  If it is a mailserver of a provider who
has lots of worm infected users, then that is the machine whose queue
should be clogged.

Sometimes it is an innocent whose queue gets clogged, but we are always
better off by pushing the responsibility up-stream.  So rejecting during
the SMTP dialog is right.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                            http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/