[Mimedefang] Mimedefang/Spamassassin/MySQL Web Interface

Daniel Kasak dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au
Mon Jul 28 23:39:00 EDT 2003

Bill Maidment wrote:

> Daniel Kasak wrote:
>
>> While this sounds like a good idea, it also invades Roaring Penguin's
>> market for CanIt ( which we are currently using under a 30-day trial ).
>> I assume that since Mimedefang and Spamassassin are both released as
>> open source, then there is no legal barrier to you producing a web
>> interface to configure the 2, but I think it would be a great pitty
>> if in doing so you 'stole' some of Roaring Penguin's customers.
>>
>> This issue no doubt makes it very hard for companies to release some
>> of their work as open source and still attract customers. I'd rather
>> see the determined few who can handle setting up Mimedefand and
>> Spamassassin do it the free way, and others who don't have the time
>> or do have the resources, to pay for the commercial version and
>> support those who support everyone else. At least that was my line of
>> thinking in recommending that we trial CanIt ( which by the way
>> management are pretty impressed with - hopefully they'll approve the
>> purchase ).
>>
>> Sorry to put a dampener on your idea. It is a great idea - except for
>> the above.
>>
>> What do others think?
>>
> Well, we bought CanIt, but we're still using the free version as it
> seems more advanced. We might switch over later, if it's already got a
> GUI/MySQL front end to it, I just have to get the time to look at it
> properly ;-)
>
> Cheers
> Bill Maidment

Well it has a GUI, and it's a pretty good one. It's PHP-based, and it
uses a Postgres backend ( I would have also preferred MySQL, as that's
where my experience lies, but the installation was painless and it works
fine ).
I don't know about what features were in older versions, but the only we
are using is very impressive.

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer