[Mimedefang] preferred pthread library

John Nemeth jnemeth at victoria.tc.ca
Fri Jul 25 20:45:01 EDT 2003

On Dec 14,  4:12pm, Stephane Lentz wrote:
} On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 05:36:29AM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
} > On Dec 8, 10:29am, Stephane Lentz wrote:
} > } On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 05:58:51AM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
} > } >      Is there a preferred pthread library to use when the OS doesn't
} > } > have a native one?  I tried GNU PTH 2.0.0 and the slaves crashed when
} > }
} > } Which OS are you running ?
} >
} >      NetBSD 1.6.1.  I wrote about it originally, but nobody answered so
}
} => I guess that you should contact some NetBSD developpers to try
} to find a work-around for 1.6.1.

     I don't know if there is one.  I'm running the sample archiving
milter that comes with the sendmail source (it is in libmilter/README)
on another NetBSD 1.6.1 box and it seems to run fine.  It is linked
against GNU pth 2.0.0.  Now I don't know if the problem is with
MIMEDefang, PERL, pth, or some kind of interaction between them.
Unfortunately, I don't have the time to try to debug, nor do I have any
experience with threaded apps.

} Few people here use NetBSD but your post seems to suggest that
} people not willing/able to use NetBSD-current should use
} FreeBSD, Solaris or Linux for instance right now and later give
} NetBSD 1.6.2 or 1.7 a try.

     At this point, if they really need to run MIMEDefang, that is
probably true.

     Native pthreads won't appear in 1.6.2 since that would be way too
big a change for a patch release.  The next release will be 2.0.  The
big changes in it will be native pthreads which support multiprocessing
and SMP support for a bunch of architectures.  These are very large
changes to the OS and significant new features, so they decided to bump
the major number.

}-- End of excerpt from Stephane Lentz