[Mimedefang] More problem with timeouts

worldoff9908 at address.com worldoff9908 at address.com
Thu Jul 24 23:21:01 EDT 2003

Thanks for the feeback.

Quoting Rob MacGregor <rob_macgregor at hotmail.com>:

[ ... ]

> >My current software setup is:
> >
> >- RedHat 7.2 - Sendmail 8.12.9 (installed from source RPM) - MIMEDefang
> >2.29
>
> That's rather old, worth trying a more current version.

I'll see what I can do about upgrading.  I've been a bit hesitant, because I
want to make sure that an upgrade doesn't disrupt working settings.

> >- SpamAssassin 2.55 - RAV 8.4.3
> >
> >RAV is being run as a milter called by sendmail, and not being launched
> >from MIMEDefang. I'm also making use of several DNS blacklist calls, but
> >these are also being called from sendmail, rather than through MIMEDefang.
> >
> >My difficulties with timeouts started happening about a month ago, when I
> >upgraded RAV from version 8.3 to 8.4. The problems have been intermittent,
> >although we had a big burst of them about 10 days ago (while I was out of
> >town).
>
> That would suggest that RAV is the problem. Have you tried calling RAV from
> MD directly and not using a separate milter?

This particular version of RAV has ben a bit finicky.  When I did the RAV
upgrade, I had problems with STARTTLS timeouts that only went away when I
disabled my use of certificates.  I'm not sure if that was specifically a RAV
problem, or something related to my certificates not being defined correctly.
For the moment, I can live without the certificates, so I disabled that.  This
is one I'll need to go back to RAV tech support on.

I haven't yet gone with using MD to run RAV, but it's definitely worth a try.

[ ... ]

> >Milter (mimedefang):
>            ^^^^^^^^
> >timeout before data read
>
> Well, over a minute has elapsed between the MD milter being called and RAV
> ending it's run. I would say that that is your problem. Try increasing the
> timout, or switch the order in which you define the milters in sendmail.mc.

I think I'll start with this first, increasing the timeout, and calling MD
before RAV and see what happens.

> Now, IMO unless that's a large email a minute is a long virus scan.

Actually, going from that particular log entry, the message in question was
fairly short -- around 3K.

I'll see what I can find, and post when I either know more or have further
questions.

Thanks for the response.  This helps.

Smith.