[Mimedefang] Problems with MimeDefang 2.35 on FreeBSD

Fernando Gleiser fgleiser at cactus.fi.uba.ar
Tue Jul 22 14:42:00 EDT 2003

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Rob MacGregor wrote:

> I've got a similar hardware setup, though with only an 800 MHz processor but
> 256 MB of RAM.  Same version of FreeBSD and MD, with MD installed from
> ports.
>
> >When two or three users try to send some medium to big sized mails
> >(1M or more, there are a 4M limit), the server drops to its knees.
>
> Ok, what's in those emails?  I've, today, chucked a 2.5 MB zip file (that
> extracts to 162 files totalling 18 MB) without issue .  I've just repeated
> the process to check and again it went through in under a minute (including
> a virus scan with sweep and f-prot).

Spreadsheets, mostly. there is the ocasional pr0n video. I have a 6Mb per
message maximum on sendmail.

> >can take, just for less than 10 messages which sum less than 25MB.
> >Obviously, there's something really wrong here. Does anybody know
> >what can I do to make it use less memory? or buying RAM is the only
> >way to go?
>
> Are you sure it's purely MD that's doing this?  Is it calling a virus
> scanner or spamassassin?

It's no calling a virus scanner. it calls spamassassin, but acording to
mimedang-filter, it doesn't call spamassassin if the msg is bigger than
100k. I'll coment SA lines out in mimedefang-filter and see if that helps.

I'm not absolutly, 100% sure it's MD. there are a lot of perl processes
eating a lot of memory, and that memory gets freed as soon as I shut MD
down.

			Fer