[Mimedefang] Problems with MimeDefang 2.35 on FreeBSD

Rob MacGregor rob_macgregor at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 22 14:12:00 EDT 2003

>From: Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser at cactus.fi.uba.ar>
>
>I'm having some probles runing Mimedefang on FreeBSD.
>
>Here's my setup: P IV 1.7 GHz, 128MB RAM, 4.8_RELEASE, sendmail, and cyrus
>imapd. The IMAP users are also Unix users. There are about 300 accounts in
>the system.
>
>I'm runing MIMEDefang 2.35, installed from the ports. All the ports
>MIMEDefang depends on are up to date. I cvsuped ports-all last Friday
>and purtupgraded all of them.

I've got a similar hardware setup, though with only an 800 MHz processor but
256 MB of RAM.  Same version of FreeBSD and MD, with MD installed from
ports.

>When two or three users try to send some medium to big sized mails
>(1M or more, there are a 4M limit), the server drops to its knees.

Ok, what's in those emails?  I've, today, chucked a 2.5 MB zip file (that
extracts to 162 files totalling 18 MB) without issue .  I've just repeated
the process to check and again it went through in under a minute (including
a virus scan with sweep and f-prot).

In my case MD eats another 10 MB of RAM, on top of the 27 MB it's already
using.  That's it.

>I've tracked it to MIMEDefang eating all the available RAM, and thesystem
>starts to swap badly.
>
>I've seen it use up to 300M of the swap space, besides all the RAM it
>can take, just for less than 10 messages which sum less than 25MB.
>Obviously, there's something really wrong here. Does anybody know
>what can I do to make it use less memory? or buying RAM is the only
>way to go?

Are you sure it's purely MD that's doing this?  Is it calling a virus
scanner or spamassassin?

  Please DO NOT send me ANY email directly unless it's a privacy issue.
       Reply-to mangled to assist those who don't read the above.
--
Rob  |  What part of "no" was it you didn't understand?