[Mimedefang] Re: ClamAV and EICAR tests

Andrew S. Johnson andy at asjohnson.com
Sat Jul 19 15:28:00 EDT 2003

On Saturday 19 July 2003 11:59 am, Jeremy Mates wrote:
> * Andrew S. Johnson <andy at asjohnson.com>
> > I've setup mimedefang to use clamav (I think), but when I send the
> > EICAR test virus it doesn't seem to get picked up. How do I need to
> > put the test payload into an e-mail so that clamav will pick it up? I
> > looked in the clamav db file and the EICAR virus signature is there,
> > so that's not it.
>
> My MIMEDefang/clamav setups detect Eicar properly; you probably
> misconfigured one (or more) things somewhere along the line. The
> following documentation may help.
>
> http://sial.org/howto/mimedefang/clamav/

My bad, as it were.  I added clamav after I setup mimedefang, since
I didn't know which AV software I was going to use.  I erroneously
thought I could add one later.  I rebuilt mimedefang and it seems to
be working.  I got this popup in KMail:

---------
Sending failed:

The message content was not accepted.

The server responded: "5.7.1 Virus Eicar-Test-Signature
found in mail - rejected "

The message will stay in the 'outbox' folder until you either fix
the problem (e.g. a broken address) or remove the message
from the 'outbox' folder.

Note: Other messages will also be blocked by this message,
as long as it is in the 'outbox' folder.
---------

And as a bonus, I get a quarantine report.

Thanks for passing along that link.

Andy Johnson