[Mimedefang] mimedefang.sock file not being created, mimedefang-multiplexor.sock is...

Art Garret ag at fairviewnet.net
Sat Jul 12 20:16:01 EDT 2003

Matthew, thank you for your reply!

Ok, I did that, and sure enough, after restarting a couple time the file is
there. But now when I telnet to port 25 to try and send a message, I am able
to issue helo, mail from:, rcpt to:, and data. Then I type the message, and
put one "." by itself, and it just hangs. After about 1 minute, I get the
"Please try again later message"

A look at the maillog:

As soon as I enter the "." these 2 entries show up:

... sendmail[10026]: h6DNqdgj010026: from=test at test.com, size=5, class=0,
nrcpts=1, msgid=<200307132353.h6DNqdgj010026 at filter.mail.domain.com>,
proto=SMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=host [1.2.3.4]
... mimedefang-multiplexor: Starting slave 4 (pid 10250) (3 running): About
to perform scan

Then the delay, and after about 40 seconds, these 4 lines:

... mimedefang-multiplexor: Killing busy slave 1 (pid 9845): Busy timeout
... mimedefang-multiplexor: Reap: Killed slave 1 (pid 9845) exited due to
SIGTERM/SIGKILL as expected.
... mimedefang-multiplexor: Slave 1 resource usage: req=1, scans=1,
user=4.670, sys=0.220, nswap=0, majflt=538, minflt=5299, maxrss=0, bi=0,
bo=0
... mimedefang[7628]: Error from multiplexor: ERR Filter timed out - check
filter rules or system load

Then, at the same time sendmail spits back the "Please try again later"
these 4 entries show up in the log:

... sendmail[10026]: h6DNqdgj010026: Milter (mimedefang): timeout before
data read
... sendmail[10026]: h6DNqdgj010026: Milter (mimedefang): to error state
... sendmail[10026]: h6DNqdgj010026: Milter: data, reject=451 4.7.1 Please
try again later
... sendmail[10026]: h6DNqdgj010026: to=test at testdomain.com, delay=00:01:08,
pri=30005, stat=Please try again later

I have no idea what is going on.