[Mimedefang] Sendmail + MD + SA Relaying Question

alan premselaar alien at 12inch.com
Thu Jul 10 05:01:01 EDT 2003

On 7/10/03 5:14 PM, "Trevor Jorgenson" <trevor at unixforever.net> wrote:

...snip...
> However, I tried to add the main domain that the machine is a part of today
> as one of the 'filtered' domains. The internal mailserver is
> mail.ourdomain.com and the external is challenger.ourdomain.com. When I add
> ourdomain.com to mailertable with esmtp to mail.ourdomain.com and add it to
> access as a relay (I don't think it actually needs to go in access.db as an
> allowed relay, but I don't think it hurts either), it doesn't work. The
> logs show it as using the  relay of local no matter where I add it.
>
> I'm suspecting the problem has to do with the fact that
> challenger.ourdomain.com is in the same domain as the one I'm trying to
> handle mail for, however I can't seem to get it to recognize that it should
> redeliver the mail via esmtp to mail.ourdomain.com.
>
> Also, one more note about it... the internal mailserver is not listed in
> DNS as a MX, that's why it's in mailertable.

since "mail.ourdomain.com" doesn't have a DNS / MX entry, you might want to
try putting the following in your mailertable database (and remember to
either makemap hash mailtertable < mailterable or restart sendmail,
whichever you prefer)

ourdomain.com   esmtp:[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]

(were xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address of your mail.ourdomain.com machine)

I have a similar setup here at the office where I've got a linux machine
running sendmail + MD + sa on the DMZ and it accepts and routes mail to our
exchange server which is only on the LAN, with no DNS entries.

hope this helps

alan