[Mimedefang] mysql mimedefang

alan premselaar alien at 12inch.com
Thu Jul 3 19:35:00 EDT 2003

On 7/4/03 1:16 AM, "David F. Skoll" <dfs at roaringpenguin.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, alan premselaar wrote:
>
>> open(FD, ">> /etc/mail/spam_disabled_users.txt") || die "unable to open
>> spam_disabled_users.txt file";
>
> Calling "die" in a filter is Very Bad Form.  It terminates the slave,
> tempfails the mail, and gets the multiplexor very cranky. :-)
>
> If something goes dramatically wrong and you need to tempfail mail,
> use action_tempfail() instead.  You should try at all costs to avoid
> killing a slave, because starting a new slave is the single most
> expensive operation on most mail servers.

that's what i figured, i just didn't know off the top of my head what a more
appropriate way to report back the success/failure of open inside the
filter.  but, thanks for pointing out WHY it's a bad idea :)

once i got my filter tweaked to my liking and working, i haven't even looked
at it or the MD-filter docs ... so, i'm a little rusty in that dept. heh

alan