[Mimedefang] sendmail-mimedefang-spamassassin

Bill Friedman linguafr at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 3 09:46:02 EDT 2003

This is my last stab at asking for help on this list.  I've spent two days just
dodging fascist (human and robot )moderators trying to get a message posted let alone
responded to with useful advice.

I have sendmail 8.12.9 and mimedefang 2.34 up and running and
SpamAssassin-2.55 installed on RH8.

root     17078     1  0 Jul02 ?        00:00:00 sendmail: accepting connections
smmsp    17088     1  0 Jul02 ?        00:00:00 sendmail: Queue runner at 01:00:00

defang   17055     1  0 Jul02 ?        00:00:00 /usr/local/bin/mimedefang-multiplexor -p /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang-multiplexor.pid -m
2 -x 10 -U defang -b 300 -l -s /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang-multiplexor.sock
defang   17057 17055  0 Jul02 ?        00:00:03 /usr/bin/perl -w /usr/local/bin/mimedefang.pl -server
defang   17066     1  0 Jul02 ?        00:00:00 /usr/local/bin/mimedefang -P /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.pid -m /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang-multiplexor.sock -U defang -p /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock
defang   17068 17066  0 Jul02 ?        00:00:00 /usr/local/bin/mimedefang -P /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.pid -m /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang-multiplexor.sock -U defang -p /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock
defang   17069 17068  0 Jul02 ?        00:00:00 /usr/local/bin/mimedefang -P /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.pid -m /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang-multiplexor.sock -U defang -p /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock
defang   17092 17055  0 Jul02 ?        00:00:03 /usr/bin/perl -w /usr/local/bin/mimedefang.pl -server

Sendmail is functions fine and SA does correctly filter a test message piped through it directly.
But, it appears mail is not being filtered.I understand that local mail isn't
filtered, I'm testing mail that's being forwarded.  The message gets
delivered but isn't filtered - no x-spam header ( I noticed that's
what SA does, but, not sure what mimedefang does exactly )and no
notification at all for message with all sorts of SA tests. I'm
still a bit hazy on just how mimedefang and SA interwork. My
understanding is that MD utilizes SA's filtering rules and then
makes changes the changes. I followed the Mickey Hall HOW-TO and the
mimedefang-filter with only the contact emails customized.

Looking at README.SPAMASSASSIN there are two items (functions) in  I
hadn't incorporated into the mix.
Interestingly, they're not mentioned in the Mickey Hill HOW-TO I'd
been following nor do they exist in
/etc/mail/mimedefang-filter.example, which I'm assuming is the
"sample filter" referred to in the README.

Use the function spam_assassin_is_spam in your filter_begin()
function.
   For example, put this code in filter_begin():

    if (spam_assassin_is_spam()) {
        action_add_header("X-Spam-Warning", "SpamAssassin says this
is SPAM");
    }

Ok, it's pretty clear where the above function goes, so, I added it,but, what about
the one below?

MIMEDefang does *NOT* allow SpamAssassin to modify e-mail messages.
If you set up SpamAssassin to add headers or tag subjects, it
will not work.  Instead, you must have MIMEDefang do the
modifications.
For example:

    if (spam_assassin_is_spam()) {
        # Change Subject: header
        action_change_header("Subject", "** SPAM ** $Subject");
    }

See the sample filter for more details.
# I don't see this in mimedefang-filter.example

And, finally, just to make sure I understand the role of the various
config files and spamd/spamc in what I'm doing....If I'm doing
site-wide filtering on an smtp proxy then, aside from the stuff in
/usr/share/spamassassin, the conf files to be concerned with are

/etc/mail/spamassassin
local.cf  sa-mimedefang.cf
...correct?

And since I'm using mimedefang I won't be needing spamd, correct?

What else might I check?

Thank You