[Mimedefang] Using the -q option

scuba at centroin.com.br scuba at centroin.com.br
Wed Jul 2 18:43:01 EDT 2003

Hi all,

	I'm trying to manage the high loads on a busy mail gateway, I
start to play with the '-q' option of the multiplexor:

	It's a P4 with 1GB RAM, with FreeBSD, only to mail gateway.
	In the previous config, I set max_slaves to 100. But I was seeing
some peaks of high loads (> 50), with memory dropping to less then 1.5MB,
to much swap and sendmail rejecting connections due the LA.

	Now, I changed the configuration to a max of 30 slaves, and put
the '-q 100' in the multiplexor.
	I could see that the machine could handle better with the LA,
keeping it bellow of 3 (max), without swaping, but I started to have some
"no free slaves" in the log.

	Is this the best approach?

	Is there a relationship between, the max slaves (multiplexor) and
the max child process (sendmail) ? Is it a good thing to limit the max
child process in the sendmail?

TIA,

- Marcelo