[Mimedefang] Milter: connect: host= temp failing commands (busy servers tuning)

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Jul 1 21:57:01 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Stephane Lentz wrote:

> I had 932 messages 'mfconnect: No free slave' in a day.

> It seems that I should increase MX_MINIMUM & MX_MAXIMUM (too low :
> default values).

In general, I recommend MX_MAXIMUM be about the amount of RAM in your
system divided by 20MB.  So on a 512MB system, an MX_MAXMIMUM of 26 or so
should be safe.  If you usually have more than MX_MINIMUM slaves running,
then bump MX_MINIMUM up to a couple more than the "usual" number of
active slaves.

> I should consider a RAM-based spool directory too I guess.

Absolutely.  That will help a lot.  Also, 2.34's queueing feature might
help (I can understand why you want to wait for 2.35.)