[Mimedefang] Re: MIMEDefang digest, Vol 1 #531 - 14 msgs

John Kirkland jpk at bl.org
Thu Jan 30 16:09:00 EST 2003

Hi, Brent,

> We have two (MX 10) machines handling the incoming mail load.
> GraphDefang (with its max-time) seems designed to handle only one log file
> (at least, when I ran the second file in, the lines were all discarded,
> presumably because the first file set the max-time).  The only way I could
> do it was cat them together and sort, which will work for the time being.
>
> Since I will be rotating these logs, and dumping them into GraphDefang
> only after they're rotated (so they won't grow, and there will be no
> duplicates), it would be nice if there was a way to just bypass the
> max-time check.

I've been asked this question before, and I've thought of 2 potential
graphdefang solutions:

1. have an
ignore-max-time-and-load-the-file-anyways-cuz-I-know-what-I-am-doing flag.

and/or

2. since the syslog file contains the hostname, I could track the max time
by hostname so that you can load files from different hosts even without
the log rotation that you are doing.

I've been doing some RL travel lately (Armenia last week and Singapore
next), and I've been coding on one of the other open source projects I
contribute to (gallery -- gallery.sf.net).  I've got a few features in the
queue and some development that I've already done that has yet to be
released.  If you or someone were to add these features to graphdefang, I
would gladly add them to the source.  Otherwise, I'll get to them after my
Singapore trip.  Perhaps in a couple of weeks you will see them in the
code.

> The graphs look great though!  Thanks for producing this tool.

Thank you, and you're welcome.  I divert credit to all those who came
before me that made creating this tool a logical choice and easy to do.

Regards,
John Kirkland