[Mimedefang] preventing allowed relays from acting as relays?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Sun Jan 26 19:25:01 EST 2003

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 19:13:54 -0500 Brian Landers <brian at bluecoat93.org> wrote:

> I want to be able to restrict smtpmail to only accept messages
> that were SENT from a host, not mail that was relayed THROUGH
> that host.  The question is, how?

There is no foolproof way to do this.  If you allow host X to relay
through your machine, you implicitly trust host X.  If you try
parsing Received: headers, the person who controls host X can simply
tell his MTA not to add a Received: header.

I'm not exactly sure what the rationale is behind what you're trying
to do.  Maybe if you could explain that, we could come up with something.