[Mimedefang] Network effects (was Re: ERR Filter timed out)

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Jan 24 17:23:01 EST 2003

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Michael C. Hanson wrote:

> Rainer, thanks very much for your help. I disabled the RBL checks and added
> additional lines to disable Razor2 checking in sa-mimedefang.cf

Any kind of network-based check is prone to this error.  You have no
control over how long DNS lookups take, and they can easily cause a
filter timeout.  If you absolutely must use network lookups, then set
the busy timeout to something big like 30 minutes, and do the same in
your Sendmail configuration file (see the INPUT_MAIL_FILTER
documentation.)

Note that on a busy mail server, network congestion can cause all the slaves
to be used up even if the CPU isn't busy at all.  So you need to set
MX_MAXIMUM quite high, which means more memory...