[Mimedefang] MD not clearing up after itself

Clayton, Nik [IT] nik.clayton at citigroup.com
Thu Jan 23 05:18:01 EST 2003

Caveat -- still using 2.16, until I find the time to package and test a
more recent version.  So this issue may have gone away by now, although
by reading the code and the changelogs I don't see how.

MD doesn't always seem to clean up after itself in some cases when it
exits.  On a busy mailserver we see mdefang-* directories in the spool
directory that are over a day old.

The hack solution is simple, just run something like this from cron:

    find /var/spool/MIMEDefang -follow -type d -name mdefang-* \
        -mtime +1 -print | xargs rm -rf

but they shouldn't really be there in the first place.

I've got a couple of untested theories about what might be causing them.
One is that mimedefang process takes too long to do it's job, so the
multiplexor kills it, so the stale directories are left hanging around.
The other is that some messages might be sufficiently complex (either
innocently, or maliciously) that they cause MD to blow out it's memory
allocation, and segfault (or similar), and again, the cleanup code doesn't
get the chance to run.

I realise this is somewhat vague :-)

Anyone else seeing this?

1        1         2         3         4         5         6         7    7
         0         0         0         0         0         0         0    5
  -- The 75 column-ometer
                                             Contributing to the heat death
Global Messaging, 120 Cheapside, x83331      of the universe since 1973.