[Mimedefang] Mails with viruses

syn uw syn_uw at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 21 15:41:01 EST 2003

Hello,

I've got here a case where I am not so sure if it's normal or not. I am
using MIMEDefang 2.28 with Sendmail 8.12.7 on Solaris 9 and the default
filter: suggested-minimum-filter-for-windows-clients.

What I find strange is that when I send a mail containing a virus (I am
always using that eicar.com test virus) using Outlook from another box the
mail doesn't get through and I get the error:

An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'test viri mail', Account: 'my mail
server', Server: 'mail.domain.tld', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '554
5.7.1 Virus Eicar-Test-Signature found in mail - rejected', Port: 25,
Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 554, Error Number: 0x800CCC6F

Which is fine ! That's great if the message isn't even accepted into my mail
server. Btw: is that always the case ?

But now I am also running a webmail application: the latest Horde/IMP from
www.horde.org with Apache 1.3.27. This is running on the same machine as the
mail server. When I try to send a test mail from the webmail client which
contains a virus then I click on Send and get the following error message in
the webmail client:

There was an error sending your message: unable to send data

but now here is the strange thing happening, if I now try to click again on
Send the mail gets accepted, but luckily it gets quarantined.

Is that normal ??

Many thanks
Regards