[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang & RAV AntiVirus

Kris Deugau kdeugau at webhart.net
Fri Jan 17 16:31:00 EST 2003

Rick Knight wrote:
> I'm new to MIMEDefang. I want to use it and SpamAssassin to protect my
> Sendmail mail server. I also have RAV Desktop (8.4.0) and want
> MIMEDefang to use it for virus protection. I'm using Mickey Hill's HOWTO
> to install MIMEDefang but the RAV AntiVirus section isn't finished. Can
> someone tell me how to get MIMEDefang to use RAV AntiVirus?

You need the server-side RAV-for-sendmail or RAV-milter package, which
are licensed separately from RAV Desktop.  In particular, if your
desktop system(s) is (are) Windows, you would have a great deal of
trouble running it in any form on the server anyway.

I replaced the RAV milter with MIMEDefang some time ago to better
control the warning messages and behaviour of the scan and filtering at
work;  but RAV's server licensing is...  *weird*  It's a combination of
per-server and per-domain licenses, with a baseline fee of ~$300US
IIRC.  Definitely NOT for home use.  You could ask them if they'll let
you use the server version at home-user prices, but I doubt it.

Look into one of the "free" packages around;  clamav and OpenAV are the
only ones that come to mind at the moment.  Both are supported by
MIMEDefang IIRC.  I'll be installing one or the other on my server at
home Real Soon Now- although simply using the list of Attachments to
Reject is probably almost as good, and certainly far simpler.

If you're going to be accepting mail for local delivery, you may also
want to run SpamAssassin from procmail, rather than via MIMEDefang, as
users can then (much!) more easily tune SA to their liking and what they
get in their email.

-kgd
--
Money is overrated.