[Mimedefang] Blacklist_to or spam trap?

Rob MacGregor rob_macgregor at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 15 02:15:01 EST 2003

>From: "Stefano McGhee" <SMcGhee at arcweb.com>
>
>Hello all,
>	I'm thinking of trying to implement a function that would act as a
>blacklist_to of sorts.  I see that SpamAssassin (SA) uses a spamtrap
>feature to enact something similar to this.  Here is my reasoning: I have
>several addresses that are from ex-employees that have been gone from
>years.  Right now, I just have an To:oldemployee at mydomain.com REJECT
>statement in my access DB.  However, that only rejects the message for that
>one recipient.  Often times, the old employee is on a laundry list of
>recipients that consist of existing and nonexistent recipients, and the
>message is nearly always spam.  I'd like to bounce/drop that message not
>just for the recipient indicated in my access DB, but for everyone in the
>To and cc header.
>	Has anyone attempted to do this?  Is this a sensible way to further
>reduce spam?  Opinions?

I asked something recently as I have a couple of addresses that get nothing
but spam.  I have to keep them as one is tied to my hosted domain and the
other to my web pages with my ISP.

A trawl of the list archive will pop up the answers, but basically you just
have to create a rule that's something like:

header LOCAL_BAD_ADDRESS        ToCc =~ /onlyspam\@isp\.net/i
describe LOCAL_BAD_ADDRESS      Envelope address is a known spam trap
score LOCAL_BAD_ADDRESS         10.0

I have the interesting problem that in my case I have a number of other
addresses that don't get spam but are identical except for a prefix
(fred.onlyspam, tom.onlyspam etc).  I just created another rule that said
that .onlyspam rated a marking of -10, cancelling out the above.  Probably
an easier way to do it, but it works for me :-)

  Please DO NOT send me ANY email directly unless it's a privacy issue.
       Reply-to mangled to assist those who don't read the above.
--
Rob  |  What part of "no" was it you didn't understand?