[Mimedefang] Sendmail Question

Chad Stalvey cstalvey at hcsmail.com
Tue Jan 14 15:44:01 EST 2003

Sorry I created mass hysteria...
I apologize.

   ---> off to comp.mail.sendmai

-----Original Message-----
From: mimedefang-admin at lists.roaringpenguin.com
[mailto:mimedefang-admin at lists.roaringpenguin.com]On Behalf Of Ole Craig
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 2:56 PM
To: mimedefang at lists.roaringpenguin.com
Subject: Re: [Mimedefang] Sendmail Question

On 01/14/03 at 14:31, 'twas brillig and Chad Stalvey scrobe:

> This just happened:
>
> Say I had this in my passwd file:
>
> cstalvey:*:1983:1983:Chad Stallvey:/home/cstalvey:/usr/local/bin/tcsh
>
> I sent a mass email out. One customer writes me back and says "Can you
> correct the spelling of my name to Stalvey instead of Stallvey?"
>
> How can they see that?

	Good grief, folks... comp.mail.sendmail is ---> thataway.
(Hint: look in your newsreader window.)

	Yes, there are a bunch of people on this list who could answer
your question. And they've been nice to other folks who've asked
offtopic questions in the recent past.

	But please, if your question isn't related to *mimedefang*
there are other, more appropriate places to ask it.

	The answer to your question relates to the internal $x macro,
which is usually generated from the GECOS field of your passwd file or
NIS map, and is referenced by default in the construction of the From:
header field. Details can be found in section 31.10.42 of the Bat Book.
("Sendmail", Allman and Costales, from O'Reilly. In my copy -- 2nd
edition -- this is page 605.)

	Furrfu.
		Ole
--
Ole Craig * UNIX, linux, SMTP-ninja; news, web; SGI martyr * CS Computing
Facility, UMass * <www.cs.umass.edu/~olc/pgppubkey.txt> for public key